From May 2017 to June 2019, I worked with Wendover Heights Veterinary Centre in Buckinghamshire providing Pet Bereavement sessions at their Equine Unit every four weeks between 5.30pm and 6.30pm. Wendover Heights would publish our four weekly sessions on their Facebook page. I am very sad to be leaving WHVC but, Julie the Practice Manager has informed me that they will continue the sessions, as they have been of great benefit not only to their clients but to others not registered with themselves and, continue to be much needed. I am very much looking forward to working with a few local veterinary surgeries at the Dorset/Hampshire borders who have mentioned an interest in the Pet Bereavement work that I do.
Prior to this my background was office based until in early 2001, when a great opportunity arose. I was offered the position of Branch Manager within a veterinary surgery. I gained a great deal of knowledge through the day-to-day running of the surgery some of which has continued in helping me to this very day. A real life-experience was that of dealing with people and their pets when the sad time came to say good-bye. The most enjoyable time was assisting with puppy classes held at the surgery on a weekly basis – the individual characters of the puppies was a joy to behold or not as the case may be.
My love of animals has recently led me to qualify for a diploma in Companion Animal Bereavement Counselling through the Animal Care College.
Below is a résume of the academic training and experience gained throughout:
- Attended First Aid for Animals at The Royal Veterinary College in Hertfordshire (May 2008, 2005 and 2002)
- In 2005 worked with ‘Tilly’ our Black Labrador at The Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme (puppy) via a local dog training club
- Completed a 2 Day Canine Communication Foundation Course with Jan Fennell Amichien Dog Listeners Ltd in Lincolnshire (December 2003)
- Attended a 2 day instructors workshop with our rescue dog ‘Cass’ at Odin Canine Services in Buckinghamshire (October 2003)
- In August 2003 ‘Cass’ joined me on a one week residential instructor’s course with the British Institute of Professional Dog Trainers (BIPDT)
- During 2001 I attended puppy/dog training classes with Jacqui O’Brien in the grounds of her home in Hertfordshire to be taught instructional methods at beginner level and, once again our dog ‘Cass’ joined me.
- January to June 2001 ~ Employed in a veterinary surgery in Hertfordshire (assisted with puppy classes)
- Summer 2000 ~ Worked in kennels at Colin Tenant’s canine and feline behaviour centre in Hertfordshire
- Late 1990’s ~ Dog Walking at RSPCA Ridgeway/Hertfordshire
- Late 1990’s ~ Completed beginner’s distance learning course on canine and feline behaviour with a Mr Cliff Dunnicliffe (Nottingham)
- 1989 to 1993/94 ~ Attended classes with ‘Charlie’ my Rottweiler eventually participating in local club -v- local club competition.
Why choose me?
- Years of experience with animals and pets
- Able to offer a fully flexible service to suit you
- Fully qualified to support you with the loss of your pet
- Fully Police checked